Re: [IP] REJECTED on medical test...Reason: INSULIN PUMP

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 00:33:27 -0400 , Brian wrote:
I was just notified that I was rejected due to medical standards for a
police officer job.  The reason for rejection was because I used an insulin
pump which according to the Civil Service standard is an automatic
disqualifier.  If I used syringe injections then my diabetes would have been
determined on a control factor.

The first thing I would do would be to try to find out WHY it is a
disqualifier.  Do they not realize that you're in better control and such with
the pump?  WHO SAYS it is a disqualifier?  Is this a state wide or a town or
county "law" or what?  Find out WHO wrote this "law" (or whatever it's called)
and maybe try to talk to that group of people.  Get your endo or pump doc to
talk to them and explain to them how it shouldn't effect your job performance
and should be much better than the shots.

I am an EMT - and wanted to do ride alongs with the local helicopter.  They
said diabetics were not allowed because they may not get a break to eat all
day.  I asked about the insulin pump because I can skip meals if I need to or
want to - as long as my basal is set right.  She checked into it and said that
that was fine.  She just recommended I carry some cheese and crackers or Life
Savers or something with me in my pocket - just in case I needed them.

I just can't believe that with the old type of injections you would be allowed
- but not with a pump!!  For the same reason as I was given above.  As a
police officer - you may have to miss meals and stuff - and if you were on
shots - that could be a BIG problem!

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Deb in Southern Illinois