[IP] high bg after exercise

I have read explanations about high bg's after exercise but still do not
totally understand it.   We just got back from a wonderful trip to Ecuador
and the Galapagos islands and one day we went for a walk around a crater.  We
walked for about two hours at a high altitude and all I had eaten for
breakfast was a roll and coffee, as usual.  Only after that walk, my sugar
went up to slightly over 400.  I never have sugars that high and exercise
regularly at home with usual lowering of bg.  I changed my set and later in
the day bg went down to 36 when we went for a mountain bike after lunch.