[IP] Re: a1c tests

Ah!...okay! That must be what our military hospital lab uses.

Our lab report comes back with two numbers, the measured (total)
glycohemoglobin and the calculated a1c. It looks something like
on the report (this is one of our last ones):
total glycohgb 9.1%, calculated a1c 7.8%

Our endo told me once that the measured glycohgb is more accurate

than the calculated a1c (so he places more importance on the
glycohgb) BUT the measured a1c is more accurate than the measured

glycohgb (but of course, our lab will never do the measured a1c
as it
is more expensive).

Take care, Kerri
http://www.geocities.com/southard8/photos12.html - meet Joseph
Charles, born at home 3/22/01, 11 lbs, 21 1/2"

Jim said:
Actually, the hemochromatography method detects *all* glycated
hemoglobin: HbA1a, HbA1b, HbA1c, and a few others. These are then

reported back as rates (percent) of the total amount of
The one that is of primary interest in measuring good control is,
course, HbA1c. But the others, in the long run, are also
factors. So really, the most accurate lab test is both a
and a calculation.