When I was diagnosed at age five, one of my biggest woes was not being able
to have doughnuts any longer.  (Something about getting a croissant while
everyone else had a doughnut when I went with my family to the bakery before
church on a sunday morning just didn't cut it.)  My mother, bless her heart,
went out of her way researching to figure whether there was any way a kid
with type one diabetes could have a doughnut.  Finally, a friend we had met
through JDF looked me square in the eye and said, "The diabetic doughnut is
a bagel."  And, truly, there was no safe way to eat a doughnut on that
really fun regular-and-NPH insulin combo.
I had a hard time convincing myself I really wasn't "cheating" when I had my
first Krispy Kreme after I started pumping.
God bless insulin pumps!
Erin, age 20
diagnosed 5/87, pumping 8/01