[IP] bolus insulin doses

From: "Ashley" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Insulin and tubing

I have quite a few concerns/problems, but I will post them one at a time.  A
friend of mine on the pump said that every time I disconnect to take a
shower, swim, or whatever I need to disconnect for, to bolus .8 units when I
reconnect to refill the canula.  Well, when I do this, I notice I ho
severely low 1 to 2 hours later.  I was in wal-mart the other day and nearly
collapsed, was sweating, and when I looked from one place to another, the
whole place was spinning and had blackouts.  That is scary.  Obviously, .8
is too much, at least for me.  I use the mini med sillouhette.  How much do
any of you bolus when you reconnect?  Just the amount that was lost during
that time period of being disconnected or is there a set amount?  Any help
would be appreciated.
Spot opines: the cannula holds only about 0.2 units of u-100 insulin. it is
unusual for the insulin in the cannula to go into your tissues without the
pump. If you do bolus keep it to about 0.2 units, the amount of insulin in the
cannula you have to realize that your body is telling you that you are
hypoglycemic with 0.8 units. check your bg's first and see if you need
insulin. a shower or swim raerely results in significant bg elevations. there
is always a pool of unabsorbed insulin at the infusion site too. spot