[IP] Foot troubles

I am having a really bizarre problem with my toe, and I am wondering if
anyone else has experienced this.  About a week ago, my big toe had a red
line on it and was slightly bothering me.  I thought I had scratched it.  I
went to Mass on a vacation and within 4 days the redness spread and half of
my toe was swollen and really bad looking.  The weird thing is I feel no
pain.  I showed it to my Mom and she had me put neosporin on it.  I live in
Cali and have Kaiser insurance, and there ae no Kaiser facilities in Mass so
thats why I didn't go to the doctor.  It continued to get more swollen and
the neosporin caused it to drain a bit.  A good friend of mine looked at it
and she immediately flipped out and said my toe didn't feel anything because
the cells are dead.  She was very worried and had me go to urgent care at the
hospital.  After waiting for 5 hours a Dr came in and saw me for less than 5
minutes.  He told me they could give me antibiotics or take off my toenail.
Obviously I voted for the antibiotics.  He said it was an ingrown
toenail...which is completely wrong...it didn't start near the toenail, and I
know how much that can hurt.  I began taking the antibiotics and my toe does
look less swollen, and it is draining.  But I am wondering why the heck it
happened in the first place.  It looks like it should hurt A LOT  and I
really don't feel any pain at all...
Any advice?