RE: [IP] Insulin Pump Insertion

Lurline [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I have decided to have the Mini Med pump installed sometime shortly
> after 1 October.  It has been a very difficult decision for me but I
> shall go ahead with it.

Yes, it can be a difficult decision.  Change itself can be difficult.  But
the pump won't be "installed".  You will be trained how to use it, including
inserting the cannula, priming the infusion set, etc.  Did you not receive a
training video with the pump?  If not, I suggest you call MiniMed
(818)362-5958, explain your situation, and request the video along with the
full information packet.

> I was just thinking, last night my cat bit the wire that I have on the
> ear jack to my radio while I was sleeping.  What will happen if she
> does that with the pump installed?

Then you'll have to change the infusion set.  There was some discussion
about this a few months ago - you might check the archives.

> Perhaps as a type 2 it won't make any difference if it is not
> connected for a while as I don't need Insulin all day long.
> Any help will be appreciated.

These are all excellent question, Lurline.  Write them down and discuss them
with your pump trainer.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted