[IP] Glucophage with a pump?

Date:          Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:18:31 -0500
From:          "Stephen W. Ponder MD, CDE"
Subject:       Re: [IPav] (Fwd) [IP] Glucophage with a pump?

Some patients may have both insulin deficiency (typical of type 1
diabetes) PLUS insulin resistance (commonly associated with type 2
diabetes). Determining whether someone has BOTH these phenomenon can
be tricky! I see children with type 2 diabetes on a regular basis, as
well as a large number of children with type 1. Every now and then I
see a child that I think may have both processes. It then becomes
reasonable to consider a trial on Glucophage (Metformin) with insulin.
Since there is no good single test for finding out who will benefit
from this, it simply becomes a judgement call (the ART, not just the
SCIENCE, of medicine!). I'm convinced that insulin resistance (what
Metformin aims to treat) and insulin deficiency are not mutually
exclusive. Be careful, though! Metformin has possible side effects and
tests must be done before using it to make sure it's alright to
attempt it's use! Good luck!

Steve Ponder MD, CDE
Pediatric Endocrinology