[IP] 50 years

> She took my advice and bought a
> copy of "Pumping Insulin." She's been reading it in preparation. Just
> think, she's had almost 50 years on MDI....
> Mary Jean

Mary Jean,
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I highly doubt your aunt has been on MDI
for almost 50 years. With the advent of NPH, and adding Regular to it (or
even Protamine Zinc insulin in latae '40s) shots were given once a day -
which I did for 33 years. Then, In '81 & '82 I took a giant step BACKWARDS
and reluctantly took 2 a day. I said I'd rather have one a week, or one a
month, NOT double my injections. lol  In the 50 years for me, I never was on
MDI (Multiple Daily Injections). [Michael, do you think you should remove me
from the 24,900 list since 50 years of single/double injections don't add up
to that?]

I went from 2 a day to pumping. There may have been a day or two for some
reason that I would have had more than 2 shots, but we also did not have
home BGs to know there was a need. I didn't start doing BGs until '82 - so
how could we determine a coverage shot for whatever a BG was since we didn't
have a clue? We also didn't have A1c's. I'm glad you aunt has reached this
milestone and stepping into the modern way -- pumping. I wish her the best.
My BASH (Bawling, Amazement, Sincerity, Humor) in celebration of Life and
Survival with DM for a half century is only 5.5 wks away!!! Everyone on the
list will be so glad when I quit talking about it! (~_^)  Anyone who finds
themselves within spittin' distance of Notre Dame is welcome to come. My
goal is to have 1000 years of DM represented! AND, NO! There is not an N.D.
home game that weekend!!!
my *monster* of a first pump can be accessed through my website where it
says PHOTOS http://maxpages.com/bludasue