[IP] pump vs. MDI

RE:  V4#511.  The subject: which is better for the individual,  pump or
MDI?  The pump requires constant  thought and action, especially if you
have lost low-blood sugar awareness, as I have. When on MDI, if you go
astray with diet, you do know that the bs will go high.  However, you do
have the long-lasting insulin to cover you, to some degree. With the pump,
you have nothing to cover you. You must have the full awareness of your
situation. If the tube gets separated from the needle, you may not know of
this for a time. Then, when you test you see numbers you rarely saw
before--350 - 400. I have type 1 diabetes for 41 years with minor
complications. I was always careful, too careful. Subsequently, I had many
low blood sugar episodes, one which was almost fatal. However, my A1cs were
usually excellent. Now that I am on the pump (six months), I have the
confidence that my blood-sugar will not go so low as to cause me a problem;
however, I also know that my A1c tests are not as good as before. What to
do:  I am waiting for the new insulin--Lantus--to be put on the market or
until my friend in Germany can mail it to me (it is sold and used widely
there).  Then, to protect myself from high blood sugars for not bolusing
enough or from detachment accidents, I will take a few units of Lantus at
night. I will still use the pump because of the fact that one may go
without eating---a real treat for me.