[IP] Re: emotional or medical relief?

>I'm embarking on an attempt to verbalize why I think there is so much energy >in the pump being the "right answer"

I for one do not think the pump is THE right answer for everyone. It was
for us. I believe is is for many other people on this list. That doesn't
mean it is for anyone else, and it doesn't mean that something better
might not some day come along.

>The greater the emotional disparity between pre and post pump, the more
>likely the credit "to the tool" will be.

>Some of the training "that is required" when going on the pump is or would be >very useful for MDI - I don't think very many people would voluntarily put in >that much effort "to improve" something that they are already doing...

I am certainly not trying to say that the pump is the sole means for
improving anyone's diabetes control. Certainly if the user isn't willing
to put in the work, then the pump is not going to help. As for all that
training (carb counting, etc) Shane was already doing that on MDI.  He
did all the "right" things, and put in all the work on shots, and it
just didn't work. So I feel that at least some of the credit for the
improvement must go "to the tool".

>Can you step back and see how emotionally charged the actual words "injecting >in dark dirty bathrooms" is.  And the words are very appropriate to what many >people feel....

Absolutely, but just because they are emotionally charged doesn't make
them inaccurate. Public bathrooms are often the most unsanitary
environments around. Certainly not the preferred place for performing an
activity where germs should be avoided.

>I used to hide too (very similar to what addicts do) til someone "gave me >permission" to not need to hide to "do something that keeps me alive"

Shane didn't feel he was "hiding" his diabetes when he did shots in the
bathroom. He did it because he did shots in the tummy, and he likes to
have his shirt tucked in, and generally has to unbutton his pants to
retuck the shirt, and didn't really think that was appropriate in a
public area... He is perfectly comfortable doing BG checks in public.

>As you said "you rarely pay it much attention" related to the pump and to >extend that a bit more ...... it is also easier to not need to pay as much >attention to diabetes.

I'm sure that is true. And there has been an occasion where Shane
"forgot" he was diabetic and didn't do a meal bolus. However, for the
most part, he has paid MORE attention to his diabetes since getting the
pump. This is because he finally feels like he has some control and can
make things better by paying attention. On MDI, he couldn't make things
better no matter how hard he tried, so he sometimes didn't try at all.

>Being a concerned observer, was the physical or emotional improvement the >most noticeable?

That is hard to say. Certainly the physical improvement as far as BGs
and A1Cs has been enormous. But the emotional gains have been large too.
I would not go so far as to say that we are emotionally "dependent" on
the pump though. We are perfectly aware that breakdowns can occur, so we
try to stay prepared for them. And Shane knows that he can go back to
shots if he must. We will not panic.   besides, he has a backup pump ;-)

>The decision to choose not to use a pump is as valid as choosing to use >one...

Absolutely! I agree there is no treatment that is perfect for everyone,
and no one should be forced to use a treatment that doesn't work for
them. I am not criticizing Lurline's choice not to pump. But I would
hate for her to not try the pump just because of any ideas/opinions she
has gotten from the list or elsewhere, which may or may not be correct.
She might carry the pump around for a month and decide she really does
hate dealing with it. But at least she will have decided for herself,
based on what is right for her and her own experience, not based on a