Re: emotional or medical relief? (was Re: [IP] Pumps advertised)

At 02:43 PM 09/26/00 Jim S. wrote:
 >I'm embarking on an attempt to verbalize why I think there is so much
 >energy in the pump being the "right answer"... I think it has a lot less
 >to do with the pump itself that the emotional relief.

Most of us have a personal investment in the pump. We've have done this
because we've convinced the doctor to support us, fought the insurance
companies and worked with families to explain why we're doing this.
Therefore, we naturally want to rationalize our decision. No-one wants to
feel like they made a mistake after going through all this. Not that the
decision to pump was necessarily wrong, but this just adds a strong
emotional component to the mix.

Of course I'm NOT saying that the pump isn't worth it, because I love my
pump and the freedom in gives me. But it was my own decision to go with the
pump and therefore I have a certain emotional commitment to it.