emotional or medical relief? (was Re: [IP] Pumps advertised)

I'm embarking on an attempt to verbalize why I think there is so much
energy in the pump being the "right answer"... I think it has a lot less
to do with the pump itself that the emotional relief.

The greater the emotional disparity between pre and post pump, the more
likely the credit "to the tool" will be.

Can you step back and see how emotionally charged the actual words
"injecting in dark dirty bathrooms" is.  And the words are very
appropriate to what many people feel....

I used to hide too (very similar to what addicts do) til someone "gave
me permission" to not need to hide to "do something that keeps me
alive"... (and that was a long time ago - before pumps were an option)

Syringes don't have an emotional charge for me either.

Laura Arns wrote:
> >It is just that I don't really want to be tied down to something that >requires my attention 24 hours per day.
> I understand your concern about being "tied" to something 24 hours a
> day. This was my husband Shane's biggest objection when he first
> considered the pump. However, he discovered, as most pumpers do, that
> this device actually freed him, instead of tying him down. No more
> hauling along those syringes and swabs and insulin bottles and injecting
> in dark dirty bathrooms when eating out! The pump does NOT require
> continuous attention, unlike the impression you may get reading this
> list. It does require a break in period of a couple weeks, but after
> that you rarely pay it much attention, other than to give a bolus when
> you eat, and to change a set or cartridge every few days. Most of the
> time you don't even know it is there. If it gets in the way, you can
> unhook from it for a short amount of time (to take a shower, or change
> clothes, or whatever). Perhaps you might try a sort of dry run with your
> pump, since you already have it. Wear it around for a couple of weeks.
> Don't hook it up or turn it on, just get used to having it around you.
> I'll bet you will find that it is only a minor inconvenience, especially
> when you think about all the great benefits it could offer in return.
> Laura

Some of the training "that is required" when going on the pump is or
would be very useful for MDI - I don't think very many people would
voluntarily put in that much effort "to improve" something that they are
already doing...

As you said "you rarely pay it much attention" related to the pump and
to extend that a bit more ...... it is also easier to not need to pay as
much attention to diabetes.

And to a few possibly a false sense of security that is needed for their
emotional survival. The belief brings the security, whether the reality
in the long confirms that belief...

If any of us doubt the importance of the "perceived" emotional
improvement, think of the reactions we see when someone has a pump
"mechanical breakdown.... going as far as panic????????

Being a concerned observer, was the physical or emotional improvement
the most noticeable?

The decision to choose not to use a pump is as valid as choosing to use

Jim S.