[IP] Calling it off

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 Lurline <email @ redacted> wrote

>Well it looks from viewing these messages that the pumps don't do what
>they are advertised to do. It would seem that the control using them
>is not as good as my 4-6 injections per day.
>Guess I will just call it off. Should have known about all the
>negative aspects of the pump prior to purchasing it.

When I first got my pump, the idea of starting to use it scared the wits out
of me!  It was like standing on the edge of a cliff and getting ready to
jump off.  I knew once I made that leap, it would be too late to go back to
the old way (yeah, I know you can, but after fighting with the doctors for
so long, I would feel stupid).

I HATE change.  I was used to giving shots and learning all the ins and outs
of this machine and learning a new way to do things seemed like a big
hassle.  One of the reasons (excuses) I had for not maintaining better
control was that it was so much work.  Testing and trying to guess what to
do next, and what the Ultralente was going to do.  And then eating something
and counting the carbs, and knowing that if I'm wrong, it will take me at
least a day if not more to straighten things out.

And I thought about if I wanted to take on even more hassle than what I
already had.  But I took the leap because something great was waiting for me
at the bottom of that cliff - CONTROL.  No magic was promised - I knew I
would have to work hard.  But after years of feeling lousy most days, of
being sick and tired all the time, and years of worrying that every ache and
pain was the sign of worsening complications, I was ready to try something

Well, you know what?  It is a pain.  There are times when I don't want to
have to get up earlier to change my site.  And sometimes I wish that I
didn't have to worry about where to wear the pump, or if I have my emergency
kit with me.  And I slip into my old habits and forget to test.  And
sometimes counting carbs for a fraction of a unit is annoying.  But then I
do test and find out that I am not far out of range.  And I bolus a little
extra, and within an hour, I am back to normal.  And I finally feel like I
am in control of my life again.  Yeah, it's extra work, but I no longer feel
helpless in the face of this "disease".

I know you feel that shots work for you, and maybe they do.  And from what I
have read, you have a pretty stable diet, that doesn't include a lot of
experimenting.  So maybe the shot routine serves you just fine.  And it's
your decision whether you want to take that "leap" and try something new
that will take some adjustment to.  But I really hope you reconsider trying
out the pump, and see if it works for you.

I think it is human nature to complain.  And if we talk about how good
things are going for us, there are those (I don't mean on this list) who
will accuse us of being "little Mary Sunshine's".  But I think with all the
diversity amongst this group in terms of age, lifestyle, experience, and
whatnot, this list shows that the pump CAN make a person's life better, and
at least deserves a second thought.

iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?