[IP] Humalog going bad

My comments on Humalog going bad are twofold:

A few years back, my CDE gave me a pen to use because I was giving shots so
often that I carried my vial with me and she told me that it was not good to
keep the Humalog out of the fridge of more than a week.  My insurance,
however, would not pay for the cartridges for the pen, so after emptying the
ones she gave me, I just refilled them from the vial.  I found, routinely,
that my sugars began to run higher as I got near the bottom of the vial.
Sometimes it was only slightly, othertimes, I was running 400-500, and
giving extra didn't make a difference.  In those situations, I found that if
I got a new vial of insulin, the high BG's responded immediately.

As was mentioned, there could have been other factors involved, but since my
insulin supply did not coincide with my monthly cycle or any other factors I
could identify, I concluded that the insulin, which had been stored in the
butter compartment of our fridge, just went bad.

I have, unfortunately, had insulin get near freezing (left in the car in the
winter), or too hot (inside black purse in the sunlight), and I have
replaced it with a new batch.  My question with the pump is, what is too
hot?  These past few nights have been nippy around here, and I have turned
my waterbed up.  This morning, when I went to change my site and cartridge,
I noticed that the cartridge itself was rather warm.  Way beyond room
temperature.  So I am wondering if this will affect the viability of the
Humalog.

Lynn Kruse
FV Pumpr
iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?