[IP] Pump called off

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 Lurline <email @ redacted> wrote

>Well it looks from viewing these messages that the pumps don't do what
>they are advertised to do. It would seem that the control using them
>is not as good as my 4-6 injections per day.
>Guess I will just call it off. Should have known about all the
>negative aspects of the pump prior to purchasing it.

I can't speak for everyone on the pump but as the premier dinasour on the pump
(I've been pumping for almost 20 years, longer than most of the list has HAD
diabetes (which I've had for almost 39 years)).

I can tell you that the pump is just a machine.  It does not CURE the
diabetes, it makes controlling it that much easier.  Like any machine it also
has its problems.

I can tell you that in 20 years things have improved tremendously and continue
to improve at faster and faster rates!!  The ability to have multiple basals
during the day, the ability to have a temporary basal rate, to have square
wave boluses and the like are all relatively new (five years or so).  I would
say that if you are working well with shots and controlling the diabetes that
your control with the pump will be at least as good and more than likely

The pump will give you a lot more 'freedom' than a few shots a day (not
carrying around syringes is a big plus to me) and the ability to decide what
and when and where I want to eat is also big.  Control on sick days I've found
much easier with the pump (not that it is perfect but the options available
give me more room to play around and get things to work).

Whatever decision you make you shouldn't go away thinking the pump is garbage.
 With 10,000 or so of us pumping worldwide (I may be off by 10,000 this was an
old figure) and more coming on every day and a drop off rate of less then 1 %
(probably less then .1% from what I know) there must be something to pumping.

I'm sorry if the problems and complaints on the list caused you to think the
pump is bad, but look at a standard diabetes support list (the one from lehigh
is a good example) and count how many people are complaining about losing
their ability to eat, walk, etc!!  At least our complaints are soluble and
most of us come away from the list with a beginning of a solution (or even
more than that).

who really likes his pump but is sorry to be sending his borrowed AutoSyringe
AS6c back to the nice person (who used to work for Autosyringe) who lent it to
me to photograph and scan.