[IP] Swimming with a pump

Sara got the Disetronic expressly because of the water proof capabilities to use during swimming. She started out using it and we did have problems with one pump developing condensation inside. The company fixed it and Sara used the spare during the interim. A funny thing happened though during our learning curve. We discovered that Sara cannot wear the pump while swimming. Even if we turned it down to 10% she bottoms out. We tried variations of turning down early etc. etc. Finally we developed a program that works. The point is that Sara does not wear the pump during her practice. No matter how much we turned it down she dropped LOW. The practice is 1 1/2 hours early evening. She eats a slow carb./protein/fat combination snack one hour before practice, bolus for that at her insulin/ carb ratio; she then turns the pump to 10% and rechecks again before going into practice and adjusts. She has a sports drink with her on deck and drinks some at the end of each practice set. As always the glucometer and glucose tabs are close at hand. If we follow this regimen the practice goes well. After practice before dry land training she rechecks BG, plugs her pump back in and treats with a carb as needed. This only works for the 1 1/2 hour practice. When working out 2 1/2 hours in the mornings the process is much more complicated. Glad that is only during the summer.
I cannot say if the pumps really stay waterproof over the long haul when using in the water every day. We fortunately have been able to ignore that aspect after all. Sara and her coach realize that she does better with the shorter 1 1/2 hour practice than the longer and we have adjusted training to that.
The point is, any sport is possible with the pump. It takes time, and a lot of it, to find the routine that works. It takes hard work and commitment from Sara. Parents are included in the commitment. You are the ones drawing charts and graphs to make one tenth adjustments for every condition. It is worth it to give the Diabetic child a chance to
succeed where others expect them to not even try. Swimming has given her back so much of her self esteem. Diabetes in youth is an image problem also. She loves being called the jock with the funny beeper thing on her belt. Best of all is when girls at swim meets see her plug back in after a race and go "oooooo". She loves to freak them out. Psychological edge.
Go Diabetic kids!!!!