[IP] No NPH in this House

In a message dated 9/19/00 4:26:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  "Does anyone keep a long acting insulin in
 > the house for emergency use?" >>

Kap may not had to take that many shots to get rid of the large ketos, if I
had called his endo at 3:30 in the morning, when the effects of DKA started
showing up (ie: throwing up)  Or at the first signs of large ketos (urine
test)  I kept giving 6 units every 2 hrs until the next morning.  When I
called her, she said "Kap with his given weight and height to go up to 10
units IF the first 6 didnt bring him down after the 2 hrs time frame and
continue this method until ketos are gone.  With H being given that often you
have the trail - known as the basel rate.  At least Kap does, even when he
bolus often during the day and instead of backing off on the bolus when his
eating me out of house, he checks for more often to prevent lows.
Thanks for Listening!
Darlene - Mom to Kap - age 10 - WHO DID GIVE HIMSELF A SHOT WITH A NEEDLE TO
I would not have believed it myself if I didnt see him do it with my own
eyes.  Still in shock.  My needle phobia child HAS conquered his fears.