[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #497

In a message dated 9/19/00 4:26:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 Michael J.Paul <email @ redacted>
    I have been a diabetic since 1976.  I am 46, two years ago I had a heart
 attack followed by stents and bypass.This had been a result of diabetes
 complications.  A year ago this month to help my diabetes I started on the
 pump,I use the Disetronic.  I never thought I could learn to use the
 pump,but I learned,now I am learning the computer.  I am also president of
 my local diabetic support group.
Michael, I am soooo Proud of You.  1. Getting the Pump and #2.  Getting
involved!  I was raising money for the local JDF walk and 1 lady made a very
rude statement to another lady as I was walking away from them.  She said
"That people only got involved after someone they loved was affected by
diabetes, heart, CF and other." I quickly did a back track.  I told her my
theory: If the true diagnosis was put on death certificates there would be a
cure for diabetes, because diabetes complications was killing more people
than what we are lead to believe "the uneducated" and I saw it as my job to
EDUCATE.  Two years ago, Kap was the 2nd child to be diagnosed at his school.
 He told the parents of the 1st child at his school with D, about the pump
and she is now on the pump.  To date there has been  4 other children
diagnosed since then.  I don't want a child or adult to have to experience
DKA for diagnoses.  That everyone should have a hba1c as part of a physical
routine.  I begged my mother to have her doctor do a hba1c done on her and
she is now on the pill for type 2 and is now under control.  Kap and his
teachers recognized the signs of a child in his class and she was taken the
doctor and diagnosed before DKA.  Kap shows his pump to everyone and talks
about getting an hba1c done at their physical.
Thank you for educating and getting involved!
Darlene - Mom to Kap - proactive pumper and educator - age10 - dxd 8/26/98