> With all this talk about the costs of running IP, I really hope my
> memory is not as good as I would like to believe.... (and I don't
> think the archives still exist...)
> Did you ever say that (96/97 time frame) that you already had the
> servers and connections for your business and could "just hang IP on
> them"?
> I hope your business is going well enough that the lines between
> non-profit/profit expenses are not blurring...
> Concerned because of past experiences.

It was mid '97 and I did say that. Bear in mind that at the time
there were 20 members and the mail server (which was/is mine) was
connected via a dial up line. Many things have changed since then.
The mail traffic we have now fully saturates a high speed internet
line during some parts of the day and there are more than a 100 times
the membership. The same old mail server now handles all the mail
traffic, and occasionally crashes under the load when the operating
system uses up all the resources. I upgraded the system about a year
and a half ago (my nickle of course), but it is again fully
saturated much of the time.

I am doing my best to fix the blurring problem you referred to. In
'98, the company I worked for and which paid the small expenses the
organization had at the time finaly left the scene  -- victim of
globalization, and the "blur" became a drain directly on my
pocket. I took steps to incorporate Insulin Pumpers as a non-profit
corporation so that a mechanism would be in place to accept financial
assistance to help with the growing expenses. To be specific, I am no
longer willing or able to pay the expenses of the the organization
and it must stand on it's own. Admirably, the pump companies and the
list membership have contributed generously to help with this. I hope
at some point in the future, possibly with additional corporate
donations, to actually get paid more than minimum wage to do the work
necessary to maintain and update the services that Insulin Pumpers
offers. You may have noticed in my last post on this subject that
since July, I've receive $100 per week as compensation -- the board
of directors authorized substantially more than that over 2 years
ago, but it is both my job to raise the money AND do the work to
support the site. Frankly I'd rather spend my time helping the
members of the forum than spending what I consider to be
non-productive time yakking it up with potential corporate donors.
Fund raising really is not my cup of tea. I've spent the last month
working in my spare time to prepare a mailing to the technology and
VC companies in Silicon Valley soliciting funds. Perhaps if it is
successful, I will not have to ask the list membership as often for

I hope this helps clarify things for you.