Re: [IP] Can Insulin go bad???

> The guideline I was told by our pump friendly endo and N.P was once
> the vial has been used, the 'time-limit' to use it with confidence
> was about 28 days.....While refridgerated, and just under three
> weeks at room temp, with the exception of hot weather, whereupon it
> would then be about three days.

the 28 day guide line has to do with sterility issues as a "standard"
and has little to do with how long the insulin actually lasts a a
particular temperature. Opening the vial breaks the seal and
potentially can allow impurities and/or bacteria into the insulin.
Assuming this does not happen, the insulin itself should not
deteriorate any faster just because the seal is broken.  All
insulin's are sensitive to temperature and keep best a low
temperatures (but above freezing). They will deterioriate in a matter
of hours at temps of 100+ -- like a hot car. The relationship between
deterioriation is non-linear with temperature. At room temperature
insulin will loose about 1% potency per month if my memory serves me