[IP] AU... Act Up - something I wrote to another group

Cxxxxx xxxx,

Thank You, Cxxxxx for giving me a structure to hang some of my thoughts.

Cxxxxx xxxx wrote:

 > Maybe then we need to be more politically active.  I for one don't feel
 > comfortable becoming a part of a prodiabetic group based on Act Up.  As I
 > understand it, AU is a group designed to bring change to the AIDS problem.
 > Disrupting, breaking the law, etc.

I think those of us living with this disease are moving towards an AU
type of group, though it is still in the future....

My perception of the evolution of AU (probably a creation of my

People got HIV/AIDS and there was no "cure" for it.
As it progressed, the capability to work was reduced.
No longer working they got personal health and life insurance policies.
Treatment costs started to be calculated.
Realization of how expensive the disease was.
Insurance options started "disappearing".
Family, friends and others with the disease jumped in to fill the "care
Society started "blaming" the victim for actions that "caused" the
As the emotional costs of "doing it ourselves" rose, people started
	for safe outlets to deal with the emotional weight that they were
	having that they could no longer carry "alone".
They found that they were not alone being unable to find a solution.
Among the "select group", they acknowledged that the situation was
Metaphorically, they had lost everything (some literally - financial,
	emotional, and spiritual) and had NOTHING LEFT to LOOSE...
Laws loose much of their power at this point.
And as they became visible others realized "it's not only me" and joined

How many similarities of my initial list are there with diabetes?

In the 60s the most visible was civil rights, but cancer support was
also going through an evolution during the same time period (or maybe

Personal exposure during my 35 years of diabetes...
	Personal life insurance policy 6 years after diagnosis and "medical
	review" rate reduction a couple of years later... Now can't get any
	personal policy.

	Diabetes Forcast used to do an annual review of companies selling
	personal health insurance for those of us with diabetes.  Mid 80s
	had the article and the statement was "there aren't any". (was 8 or
	10 the previous year)

	In the early 90s, a friend told me about being excluded from a group
	health insurance (farmers insurance exchange?) plan.  To insure his
	family he could not be on the policy. His was only able to get major
	medical coverage for himself.

...And now, are we are starting to see articles about lifestyle (eating,
exercise, & ?) changes or the result (punishment?) will be diabetes...
"You had a choice so you have no one to blame but..." (Might it really
get that bad? You tell me.)

 > Would love to hear how others would view such actions.  Like they say, the
 > squeekly wheel gets the grease.  The personal question is:  How much of a
 > squeekly wheel do I want to be?

Without support it is not easy to get the energy to volunteer to be a
...in the beginning many messengers are "shot" - even by those who will
be helped.  "HOW DARE YOU FORCE ME OUT OF DENIAL!!!!!!!" Denial does
protect us from the dealing with things that we are unable to
emotionally handle.

 > Cxxxxx xxxx

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Jim S.