[IP] basal rate theory

I'm trying to understand basal rates better.  Assuming that your
basal rate is not constant, does it depend on the time of day or on
your activity?  If you have your basal rate set properly, does it
work even when you sleep in or take an infrequent afternoon nap?  If
you travel to a different time zone, does your basal rate adjust to
the offset time?

I am assuming that the rate is affected by activity level (or
non-activity) level, or it would not be necessary for athletes to
reduce their basal rates while doing extended exercise.  But is
activity level the whole story?  What else could there be?  Some
connection to the time of day?

Any insight would be appreciated.