[IP] Re: view of diabetics/baywatch/venting

Sam wrote:
In this episode a diabetic man fell into the
ocean.  While he was in there he lost his bag with his
insulin in it.  In the few minutes it took to save him
I guess the "window of opportunity" for getting
insulin passed and when they got him out he went into
sugar shock (immediately) and they had to do this
dramatic emergency thing to get insulin in him.  I've
never gone into sugar shock when I missed my time by
an hour, let a lone a few minutes.  I was so
irritated.  I have met people who think I am the most
fragile thing on this earth, they must have been
watching Baywatch too!  Sorry, I just had to vent

You are not alone in your irritation with media portrayal of diabetics!
First of all, it was very brave of you to admit that you watched "Baywatch"
("Babewatch" would be more apropos) ;-).

While we're at it, can I join in the vent?  I get irritated with people who
think diabetes is caused by eating sweets.  I get irritated by people who
think diabetics need insulin when they are having a low blood sugar.  I get
irritated by people who don't know the difference between Type 1 and Type 2
and who think that if you are thin you are doing a "great job with your
diabetes".  I was thin only when I was wildly out of control!  But, I have
to confess that until I became diabetic 6 years ago I WAS that irritating
person who thought all those things.  So, yeah, the shows like Baywatch
don't help either but as Natalie pointed out, the producers have to make it
interesting (well, she was talking about Steel Magnolias i think).  A more
realistic and believable story would have been to have the man having an
insulin reaction due to his extra exercise (swimming). Then someone could
have thrown him some glucose instead of a life raft. I joke.
kindest regards,