Re: [IP] "good" diabetic

On 17 Sep 00, at 21:45, email @ redacted wrote:

> I LOVE sweets and I take no little offense to your logic which infers that i
> am a "bad" diabetic.   This word "BAD" is used by our parents and our doctors
> and teachers and priests and politicians, and all our lives we are told we
> are BAD when we choose to do something THOSE particular authority figures
> decide is less than a positive choice!

I'm glad you didn't lump us preachers in with people who use that nasty
word <very big grin>...  There are suboptimal choices that we all make, each
day.  The nice thing about the pump is that it reduces the set of suboptimal
choices, and even changes some things that were forbidden into delicacies
that are allowed in moderation...

Last week I was in Reston, Va for a class, and enjoyed eating in several
pretty good restaurants and I even ate a dark chocolate Dove bar for
desert one night.  My bg stayed pretty decent, given the stress of travel
and all the changes to schedules I was dealing with.  It was certainly much
easier to handle things... that is except for Wednesday, when five of us
went to eat lunch at Macaroni's Grill.  I set my bolus for the calzone on the
plate in front of me, was getting ready to dive into it, and all of a sudden
my pump went beserk.

It started beeping, I got the dreaded Error-15 and it lost everything, clock
setting, basal rates, history and all.  I had to take the batteries out to turn
the beeping off.  Everybody at the table was asking "Are you going to be
OK?"  I told them that I would get it temporarily fixed in a moment, put
the batteries back in and set my bolus again and restarted it.  I figured
that the bolus amount would get me through until we got back to the class
where I could get my notes out and reprogram the pump...

We ate - that meal was good, especially the herb bread and Italian butter
(olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper)...  When we got back to the
classroom I dug out the Newton, called up my notes on the basal rates and
started reprogramming the pump.  The only problem was those beeps that
the pump gives you when you are punching the buttons...  And I've got nine
basal rates to set.  The instructor was lecturing, I was taking notes and
working on the pump.  I get to the part where it wants to do the alarm test
and without thinking I proceed...  of course the siren beeper starts cycling
and the instructor stops talking, looks over at me and asks "Is that a
gameboy or something?"...  I calmly replied "No.  It's my insulin pump.  It
lost it's mind and I'm having to reprogram it. "  He turned red, said "OK.
I'm sorry" and mumbled something about having had people play video games
while he was trying to teach the class.  Only "fallout" was that a woman
sitting behind me commented later that I seemed to be taking pretty good
care of myself and looked like I had things under control, since she'd seen
me checking my bg often and not making a fuss about anything.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can discreetly test your bg, bolus
or adjust your basal rates with the pump and as long as you don't press the
"self test" button you can travel pretty much incognito...  as long as you
just do everything in a routine "matter of fact" manner and don't worry
about it...

The flight home was another matter - it took them over three hours to
change a tire on the airplane, so my bg made a spike then.  Flight delays are
one thing that really gets me upset...  But I was able to bolus appropriately
and keep things fairly well stable even then...

> I would rather have my bananas SQUASHED into a bowl of sugar free/fat free
> vanilla pudding with some vanilla wafers, for the same carb value, and pop a

Forget the fat free  or sugar free stuff.  Last night at a church picnic I
had some of the real stuff.  It was really good...  and it only meant adding
six units to my bolus.  I'll do that if the food is worth it.  Sometimes it is,
sometimes it isn't...
> >  If I were to eat a pastry or ice cream I would be getting little of
> > nutritional value and a bunch of chemicals.

Normal food, even if you grow it yourself, is not much more than a bunch of
chemicals.  Pastry or ice cream has just as much nutritional value as some of
the non-fun foods that we are encouraged to eat.  I've looked at labels on
some stuff some friends got at a health food store and it wasn't as
nutritious as what I was buying from Kroger... and it was a lot more
expensive...  The health food stuff had about twice the carbs per serving
and about three times the sodium...  and it tasted bad too.  The pump proves
its value in this arena too - if you want to eat expensive health food store
junk you're able to, once you compensate for the higher carbohydrate
values.  If you want to eat ribs at Porky's you can do that too, once you
figure out how to use the square wave to handle the long, long bg rise caused
by that high fat meal...

> bg rises in many people.  Would you suggest not seeing ANY theatre on the
> chance that you
> MIGHT see BAD theatre???  (VBG)

You mean there is theatre that ISN'T bad theatre??? <VVBG>

> EVERYTHING life has to offer...even the bad theatre, which I PROMISE is even
> worse when your blood sugar is out of kilter...and can only be cured by a
> helping of Chunky Monkey at 2 in the morning...

Actually, I kind of like "Death by Chocolate"...  It's got all the good stuff
in it...  from the description it might even be similar to some of the other
flavors under discussion.  I really like it with a handful of pecans chopped
up over it...

And of course,  there's always fried chicken...  For me, it's an occupational

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)