Re: [IP] Lurline and carbs

In a message dated 9/17/00 7:59:20 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  I usually eat steamed veggies, roasted veggies or stir fried.
We always eat Tofu Lite.  Sometimes we eat Eggbeaters in the morning with a
Crisp.  Lunch is always a large salad sometimes with baked Tofu or analogs.
Dinner would be veggies of some sort, perhaps a Tofu casserole made with
veggies >>

Well, I eat more carbs than you do, but your talking of your diet being the
norm in your area made me want to come visit!  I spent a week in sw N. Dakota
this month, had a wonderful time, and loved many things about the state, but
the food in the restaurants we visited was not one of them.  And these were
not fast food places, either.  Some had no veg at all on the menu, if there
was a cooked one it was buttered corn, and for many iceberg lettuce was about
it.  There was generally nothing for breakfast that was not not only high
carb, but high fat as well.  A couple times I got hard-boiled eggs and
removed the yolk, but other times they would only serve their eggs cooked in
fat.  But luckily, with my pump, I was able to keep in pretty good control
(though sometimes rather hungry) because I could bolus when I found something
I considered edible (it was hot and grocery stores were not plentiful -- that
package of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots smelled real bad by the end of
the day) and not have to eat when I didn't.  I was never able to tolerate
this sort of traveling well before pumping (I was diagnosed in 1955, so I had
experience at trying).  Of course, I couldn't have done it much longer
without some sort of food prep and refrigeration unit in the rental car!  :-)

Linda Z