Re: [IP] H and R and Pump or Needle w/ Ketones

email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 9/17/00 6:45:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> <<
>  Question:  When this young man developed a problem did you treat him with the
>  pump connected and his usual basal being given?  Did you use Humulog or
> Regular
>  for the extra injections.
>  You are very brave.  I wouldn't have the ability to take care of a sick
> child who
>  is diabetic.  He would have been in the hospital at the second sneeze.
>  Cheers,
>  Lurline
> I started double the dosage using the pump (Bolus)once I saw Large ketones,
> it had worked in the past for moderate ketones.  Once he started projectile
> vomiting, I realized maybe pump wasnt going to do the job as fast as the
> needle.  The pump worked, don't get me wrong, but I felt better knowing
> insulin was going in without a doubt with the needle.  The hard part was
> double dosages during the night. But, hey after I saw that even with double
> dosages his numbers were not moving.  I didnt have a problem going to a
> higher number of units.  He took 6 units every 2 hrs for almost 12 hrs to
> eliminate those ketones and bring #s back into line.  His endo said she would
> have started with 6 units after 1st signs of ketones and then after testing
> the next 2hr time frame and # was the same with ketones she would have went
> to 10 units.   If there is a next time, she will be the one I call first.  By
> delaying the call to endo until morning, Kap endured a longer bout with
> ketones.  - We use only HUMALOG.
> Funny thing is I didn't feel brave, I just knew I would do everything in my
> power to keep him away from hospital since I don't trust anyone except his
> endo. But if he had thrown up the 3rd time, I would have called the endo or
> we would have took a little 2 hr time car trip to his medical center where
> his endo is on staff. My fear is that would have started an IV w/ sugar water
> at the local hospital.  Besides, it is hard for me to give control over to
> someone else other than Kap who has been trained by ME.
> Thanks for Listening - Paranoid Mom
> Darlene - Mom to Kap - age 10 - pumping w/o ketones

Obviously you are a deeply devoted mum.  I just would not have had the ability to
treat a child.  It is just me I don't like working with peds.  In fact, I don't on
with children until they reach the actual age of response.  15 or so.  You know
that age when they really learn to speak out.  You ask them a question and they
tell you to go to hell!  Very plain spoken at that age.  : )
Your child is very fortunate to have such a caring mum.
There are so many of you who go far beyond what the average parent has to endure I
truly find that remarkable.
Be Well