[IP] Lurline and carbs VERY LONG sorry

Lurline stated:

I still don't understand all this concentration with the eating of cakes,
ice cream etc.  I would think everyone would be attempting to have the most
optimal diet available.  These sorts of foods are just empty calories with
nutritional benefits.  Fruits, on the other hand are filled with nutritional
products, for the same amount of calories and carbs.

I think we all need to clear something up here.  I want to say it nicely and
not hurt anyone's feelings so if I do, I don't mean to.
I am going to speak for myself here, but many others may feel the same way,
if they do, that's great, I won't feel alone. Others may not, and that is
their choice.
I grew up NOT eating a darn thing sweet in my life, except what I snuck.  I
was diagnosed in a tiny hick town in Vermont, I had to travel about 3 hours
to get diagnosed at a hospital where the doctors knew something, I was 3 1/2
years old and all I remember was getting my toes stuck with needles to check
my bgs.  I was crated into a crib so to speak, with steel bars and I was
left alone except for the toe poking and blood drawing. .  Once they made
the diagnosis of diabetes, I got to go home after about three weeks in
hospital, and my mom had to give me shots.  This is not fun for a 3 1/2 year
old.  Neither were the monthly hospital stays, and I mean monthly.  I was in
the hospital every month for almost two years straight!  Now please remember
this is a hick town in Vermont, and I mean no disrespect my home town, but
the doctors knew nothing, nada, nil about Diabetes.
Now to my point.  I now, since I have a pump, eat an occasional sweet.  Not
every day, nor every two days, but since I have my dear blue pump, I CAN eat
things like this.  This is MY choice, I do it because I WANT to.   Now you,
on the other hand, DO NOT have to eat sweets, it is YOUR choice.  But once
you get on the pump, in the near future I hope for your sake, you CAN eat
something out of the ordinary if YOU want.  We are not saying that YOU have
to, but you CAN.  From a lot of your posts, and I mean no disrespect here at
all, so please please don't take any, please, but it sounds like you are
aghast at us for eating ice cream, cake, cookies, and I had cotton candy
last week!  I don't want to scare you, but my bg was 100 straight through!
THIS  IS WHAT I GOT THE PUMP FOR, so I could eat different foods.  So I
could be as normal as another human being, even though I have a damn disease
that may nor may not eventually end my life.  I could NOT eat carbs at all
while on MDI, I would skyrocket and take shots the rest of the day.  I was
on a minimum of at least 6 shots a day, and at the time I was a tiny thing,
I was running out of spots to take shots.  When I finally took the leap and
got my pump., I was told  I COULD eat carbs, so I did.  And I gained weight,
about 10 to 15 pounds, and now I need to lose some, but that's another
I guess my point is, please understand we all have our own personal choices,
I have mine, which is to enjoy a treat once in a while, Sara SP has hers,
which is to enjoy her yummy Ben and Jerry's ice Cream, RoseLea and Max has
hers which is to enjoy her chocolate brownie with frosting (yum) and you
have yours, which is to enjoy your fruit.  But they are ALL carbs, no matter
what.  Granted, what we eat in our cake may be an empty carb, but its damn
good!  It may have "no nutritional benefit" as you said, but it makes us
FEEL GOOD that we CAN eat it.   And we don't do it every day, so its not bad
for us in that aspect.  Please understand what I am trying to say here.
Maybe I should go check my bg now, this is too long and I am sorry but I
wanted to get my point across and I hope I didn't offend anyone.  I will now

Lori A. Willey
First Express Inc.