Re: [IP] He Did It - We survived!

email @ redacted wrote:

> Kap did it - he primed his new soft-set and INSERTED IT IN - NO HELP FROM MOM
> last Saturday.  And has did set changes by himself since.  This would have
> never happened with needles.  He has needlefobia.  Therefore, I feel in the
> long run he will have better control over his diabetes.
> I must be doing something correct as a mother!  - I didn't stand over him
> while he did his first insertion.
> WE SURVIVED!
> Kap had a stuffy nose last night - pre dinner reading was 184.  He bolused
> for dinner, we shopped a few minutes afterwards and came home.  He checked
> his bgs and it was 589 and Large ketones.  This was a first for us.  Large
> ketones not high numbers.  So he did double bolus for the next 2 hrs until at
> 4:30 this morning he started projectile vomiting. He did this 2 times, if a
> 3rd time happened we would be talking to you from the hospital.  He also
> started sweating profusely.  It seemed like he had a high fever and it was
> breaking.  (But he didnt have a fever.)  I took the pump off and started
> needles w/ double insulin for the following hours.  He was 36 and 25 at 6:30
> this morning with moderate ketones and starving for breakfast.  His dad took
> him to breakfast and bolused as normal.  We they came home he checked ketones
> and bgs again.  BGS =489 and moderate ketones.  Again we started with 6 units
> of humalog for the next 2 hrs - every 2 hrs.  Four hours later he was back to
> normal and no ketones and has stayed that way for the rest of the day and
> night, so far.
> We got through this event and will next time call endo if the 2nd dosage of
> insulin doesnt bring down #s.  Also, I will disconnect pump and give shots
> until no ketones.
> Lesson Learned.
> Living and Learning how to treat Large Ketones
> Darlene - Mom to Kap - age 10 - pumping 1/19 w/out ketones since 10am.

Question:  When this young man developed a problem did you treat him with the
pump connected and his usual basal being given?  Did you use Humulog or Regular
for the extra injections.
You are very brave.  I wouldn't have the ability to take care of a sick child who
is diabetic.  He would have been in the hospital at the second sneeze.
Cheers,
Lurline