Re: [IP] Prednisone!!!!!!!!!

email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 9/16/00 5:00:21 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
>
> << I had an asthma attack with an infection due to allergies etc.  Was
>  given two horrible injections of antibodies and 80mgs of Prednisone.
>  Can now breath and function but my blood glucose is way out of
>  control.
>  Has anyone had any experience with having this huge increase of blood
>  levels? >>
>
> Hi Lurline
>
> Yuck! I'll bet you *do* feel miserable! I've not had oral steroids, but have
> had injections and, yes, they cause your BGs to soar into the stratosphere. I
> remember one time that eating a sugar-free Popsickle would zip mine up about
> 50 points.
>
> What's happening is that steroids cause insulin resistance. So, yes, you will
> have to up those dosages a mighty amount. The effects have lasted about one
> week for me when I've had a "lidocaine slush."
>
> Jan and Elvis

Thanks, I am really looking forward to titrating off the oral prednisone.  The
injection was bad enough.  Now I am back to blurry sight and feeling as though
squirrels are crawling around in my brain.  At least I CAN breathe and sleep.  A
major improvement.  I am now eating a bunch of cabbage and other none caloric
crunches.  Tonight I will have a nice chicken Caesar salad.  I have got to find
something to eat in place of toast for breakfast.  No more than 15 carbs at any
meal leaves one somewhat at a loss for a realty choice.
I have been doing the shots and diets for 20+ years and it still feels that I
just started yesterday and thinking about how I have to live.
Cheers,
Lurline