[IP] Lo carbing and ketones

Hi, Shannon.

FOA, I'm not a doctor and I hope a doctor on the list will contribute to
this thread.

>I understand that very low carb plans can cause ketosis. I know ketones
>are the waste products of burned fat but I also understand they are
>dangerous. I would like to both burn fat but avoid dangerous ketones.

Spilling ketones is normal for *anybody*, diabetic or non-diabetic, in
certain situations such as heavy exercise and dieting. What's NOT normal is
the combination of hyperglycemia and ketones. IOW, you can eat as LITTLE
carb per day as you want, but you need to keep your blood sugar controlled
by administering the appropriate basal rate.

>I've also heard that ketones are only dangerous if you are dehydrated, is
>this true?

Ketones are very dangerous if you're hyperglycemic. The latter will lead to
dehydration with or without ketones.

>I've heard that ketoacidosis occurs in diabetics because they are running
>high and therefore are dehydrated.

Yes, that's correct. Without insulin, the body can't burn sugar so it has
to use fats instead. The blood sugar soars and the kidneys get rid of the
sugar by dissolving it in water. Since there's no insulin available,
there's a LOT of sugar and a LOT of water is needed. That's where the
dehydration comes from.

To keep itself running without sugar, the body burns up fat. The use of fat
produces byproducts, ketones, which if present in large quantities poison
the body.

Fasting (fat breakdown) and insulin deficiency both result in ketones. The
presence of ketones without insulin is very serious. However, the presence
of ketones while dieting is normal -- I don't believe anyone can lose
weight without producing ketones from the breakdown of fat.

>If a diabetic is in good control (good bgs) and well hydrated, are ketones

No, as long as the body has enough insulin to keep going and the presence
of ketones is called for under the circumstances. IOW, if you're NOT
dieting or exercising heavily and spill ketones, it could very well be
something to worry about.

>So for those low carb pumpers out there...how low do you go?  How many
>grams of carbohydrates do you limit yourself to?

I have gone to zero on many occasions after consultation with my physician.
I drink lots of fluids and I get plenty hungry, but with the right basal
dose, I can keep the bg normal. Other than losing some weight, no harm is done.

regards, Andy

P.S.: Comments from medical professionals would be very much appreciated on
this subject.