Re: [IP] rotflmao

Sam Skopp wrote:

> At 02:34 PM 09/16/00 email @ redacted wrote:
>  >Do you really get to eat this sort of thing...ice cream I mean.
>  > The only ice cream i have had in years was a bite of my husbands crunchy
>  >bar that
>  >has no sugar.  He ate that last night prior to bedtime..
>  >I don't know what I would do with food that sweet.
>
> Sure... you can eat anything that you want. The basic rule is that a carb
> is a carb is a carb. It makes no difference what form that carbohydrate
> takes... whether from a slice of bread or apple pie, a potato or ice cream.
> Once your pump is set up correctly for your basals, in theory you can skip
> meals and eat when you're hungry. Then you just bolus for the carbs you eat.
>
> Part of the pump learning process, besides your basals, is figuring out
> what your ratio of units of insulin to carbs are. Once all this is worked
> out, if you feel like desert, as long as you know what to bolus for it,
> then no problem. We're talking about flexibility here... not the old rigid
> diets that we used to have. You might want to go your local book store and
> get a carbohydrate counting book... that will be your textbook for learning
> what you need to bolus. If you look at labels on packages of food... the
> carb counts are usually there too.
>
> Sam

Really, I can not eat that sort of thing.  More than one bite and a very small
one at that.
I would rather spend my very limited carbs on something that has nutrition and
not just empty calories.  Besides, i really don't like sweets so I make a really
good diabetic.  : )  I would rather have a wonderful serving of banana squash
for the  same carb value and get all the yummy vit A and a lot of antioxidants.
If I were to eat a pastry or ice cream I would be getting little of nutritional
value and a bunch of chemicals.
Lurline