[IP] Lo carbing and ketones

Hi folks,
I would like to try a low carb plan but I'm confused about something.  I
understand that very low carb plans can cause ketosis.  I know ketones are
the waste products of burned fat but I also understand they are dangerous.
I would like to both burn fat but avoid dangerous ketones.  I've also heard
that ketones are only dangerous if you are dehydrated, is this true?  I've
heard that ketoacidosis occurs in diabetics because they are running high
and therefore are dehydrated.  If a diabetic is in good control (good bgs)
and well hydrated, are ketones dangerous?

So for those low carb pumpers out there...how low do you go?  How many grams
of carbohydrates do you limit yourself to?
kindest regards,