[IP] Setting basals

Hi again folks,
Thanks for replies to my 4 questions earlier.
 My next question is very basic I'm sure.  I want to test my current basals
to see if they are doing the job right.  Can I do this by fasting?  Last
night I went to bed with a bg of 140 and woke up this am at 148.  Only up 8
points should I just leave my current night setting as is?
My next plan is to not eat until 1pm tomorrow and test hourly to see if bg
goes up any.  Then on Sunday I plan to stop eating at 1pm and test hourly
after that to see any changes.
Is there a better way of testing my basals than this?
I'm doing this pumping thing without the help of a doctor.  My husband
researched it on the internet and it seems to be going very well so far (3
months now).
kindest regards,