Re: [IP] RE: Taking away the pump

> First, the nurse from the Dr's office told me that she could not use
> it anymore.  Just an update.  Off the pump yesterday, Thursday at
> 10:00 a.m.. Her sugars have not been any lower then 240. Large
> keytones last night and small keytones all day today.  Of course, I
> called the Doctor's office and they have not returned my call yet.
> So I feel that because we are still having high blood sugars that it
> is not the pump.  I am hoping that I can convince them to let us
> have the pump again.  If not, will try to find a doctor that will
> let me put her back on.  Thanks for the support.  Glad to know that
> this is just normal problems with the pump start.  This doctor's
> office has only been putting kids on the pump since June.

At our house, consistent high bg's usually signal one of two things,
assuming that basals and boluses are within range.

An infection or illness is brewing or my kids is growing again.
Number 2 has on occasion requrired ramping up basals and bolus ratios
by as much as 50% at times for a few weeks until she stabalized at
a new level. If your child is growing -- say 2 - 4 inches a year, you
can bet that basal and bolus requirements will change frequently and
may get very high at times -- higher than a large adult. My hundred
pound girl was using 90u a day at one point and eating us out of
house and home. She's on about half of that now, is bigger and weighs
more. Go figure!