[IP] Some thoughts on a year of pumping

Today marks a year for me on an insulin pump.  What kind of a year has it been?  Am I glad that I made the big decision to start pumping?
What have I learned in the past year?

Without a doubt, the decision to start pumping was a very good one.  My blood sugar control has been the best ever since I started taking
insulin 35 years ago.  While the pump obviously has not cured my diabetes, it sure has made it easier to effectively deal with it.  My A1C's
have always been in the good to okay range, but since I started pumping, they dropped from 7.9 to 6.7 and have been fairly stable since
dropping to below 7.  Hypoglycemia had been a real problem for me in the past and while it has not disappeared, it occurs much less
frequently and my awareness of low blood sugar is much better.  I feel better, have more energy, can work and play harder and have more
enthusiasm for life.  The freedom that the pump has given me to control my life (rather than diabetes controlling me) is wonderful.  I can sleep
late on a Sunday without problems, I no longer have to worry about eating on a schedule and eating to "feed a low" rarely occurs any more.
The pump is a wonderful tool for my life and like Sara once stated here, "I will never give up my pump until they pry it from my cold dead

What I have learned in the last year has much to do with all of the messages generated by the participants on this forum.  Because I have been
working 12-13 hour days for the last 9-10 months, I haven't had time to write much to the forum and I don't always have time to read the
digests that I receive several times a day.  But when I do read the digests, I almost always learn something from the messages.  Having this
source of knowledge and experience so readily available is a real treasure.  Hopefully in the future I will have more time to be an active
participant in the forum.  I thank all of you for your contributions and I especially want to thank Michael Robinton for putting together the web
site and doing such a great job of keeping it going.  Fortunately, I live and work near Michael in the San Francisco Bay Area and have had
the opportunity to meet him a number of times.  He is amazingly dedicated to Insulin-Pumpers and likely spends more time working on it than
he should.  I know that some members of our group get tired of seeing Michael's requests for donations but you all need to understand that if
we don't contribute and pay the costs of running the web site, Michael has to and that is not at all fair.  If we, as the beneficiaries of the site,
do not fund it, how long do you think it can continue to operate?  So I am going to make a suggestion.  While I have contributed in the past, I
am going to make a practice of contributing what I can on my annual pump anniversary.  I plan to drop off my annual contribution today.
How about we all do that?  I realize that some can afford more than others, but we all need to send Michael whatever we can to support
Insulin-Pumpers.  Think about how much it has helped you and how you would feel if it was no longer available.

Best in pumping,

Bob Goodman