Re: [IP] a1c and complications and life in general

In a message dated 9/14/00 7:55:58 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I made the comment that now I can eat what I want, whenever I want
 and she told me that after 6 months of pumping her brother-in-law wasn't to
 that point yet.  Huh?  I can only figure that he's taking his insulin just
 like he did on shots and so is locked into eating certain things at certain
 times of the day.  I've heard of other people pumping that way also.  I
 guess maybe it's the doctors who are not familiar with pumps and think that
 it needs to be done just like injections.  Remember, there's a lot of
 medical personnel out there who don't have a clue about pumping.  >>

When I was in the hospital earlier this summer, I had a doctor tell me that a
patient of his would not be a good pumper because her schedule was too
erratic. He said that, with a pump, she would have to eat on schedule, etc.
He apparently was of the opinion that the pump would give you insulin at set
times and you would have to eat set amounts to feed the insulin. I set him
straight *real* fast!

Jan and Elvis