Outward appearances (was Re: [IP] a1c and complications and life in general)

Please don't take this as an attack - what you said triggered a tangent
thought process for me...
I think our percetions of what someone else is doing (or how) tends to
be skewed because we speculate on the (their's alone) reason without
knowing their circumstances or feelings.

RoseLea wrote:

> Since I've started pumping, I've been amazed at the people I hear of that
> use the pump just like injections.  They don't count carbs and they take the
> same amounts of insulin just like on MDI.  I was talking to a colleague when
> she recognized that I had a pump on, since her brother-in-law is also a
> pumper.  I made the comment that now I can eat what I want, whenever I want
> and she told me that after 6 months of pumping her brother-in-law wasn't to
> that point yet.  Huh?  I can only figure that he's taking his insulin just
> like he did on shots and so is locked into eating certain things at certain
> times of the day.  I've heard of other people pumping that way also.

I've been on a pump for over 6 years and tend to eat the same things
very often, though definitely not at the same times. Without saying more
it would be very easy to think that I am in a "rigid" food/time
regimen....  And yes I do carb count as best I can when I consciously
choose to eat differently.

I have made a personal decision to not "work that hard" doing things
differently every day. The thought "eat to live, not live to eat" comes
to mind.

Several years ago I met a woman who was on the pump and she stretched
the set change out as long as she possible could. She admitted that she
reacted a "bit" excessively when anyone told her that she SHOULD change
the set more often.... The part that usually didn't come up was that she
continuously dealt with a needle phobia and the infusion sets were

And the man whose Dr told him that he needed to go on insulin...he
refused.  In his own words... "flying is my life" and going on insulin
was (metaphorically) giving up his life.   - He was an airline
maintenance supervisor and was a pilot who owned his own plane - and at
the time there were no exceptions for insulin using pilots.

Or the ex college football player with complications.... Guess what
would have happened if he lost the weight that would have been "good for
him" because of the diabetes. At the time he was unwilling to give up
the scholorship...

Looking at the outward appearances "not the best" - but factoring in the
usually unsaid emotional/pshchological/spiritual aspects of living with
diabetes, I can't judge what anyone else does with diabetes.

It's so much easier to look at the mechanics because they can be
changed.... The other aspects "JUST ARE" no matter how much work we put
into ignoring them.