[IP] Not to that point yet...

> I made the comment that now I can eat what I want, whenever I want
> and she told me that after 6 months of pumping her brother-in-law wasn't
> that point yet.  Huh?  I can only figure that he's taking his insulin just
> like he did on shots and so is locked into eating certain things at
> times of the day.  I've heard of other people pumping that way also.  I
> guess maybe it's the doctors who are not familiar with pumps and think
> it needs to be done just like injections>
> RoseLea and Max...

Someone (Yerachmiel?) on this list said not too long ago that his dr. had
burnout, thinking the pump would be a cure-all and it didn't happen that
way. We're talking from a couple of decades ago. I believe that is what
happened to my endo. Seventeen years ago when I began pumping he was one of
2 drs. in my state who handled pumps and put a lot of people on. Those pumps
were the whole-unit kind and no Humalog, no *tweaking*, etc. As
sophistication (and no cure via pump) of pumping has come along, my endo has
not kept up. After getting on the 'net a year ago I have learned a LOT about
pumping that I had no clue about. I asked my endo why I didn't know about
carb-counting and ratios, he said it's easier to stick with exchanges!! He
mentioned to me that he was considering taking classes to learn more about
pumping (he wore one for 3 days in '82 to know what patients would go
through). I told him he needed to - that he was way behind the times. I
haven't even met the present CDE - dr. thinks I know enough about it and
doesn't ask to see my BGs/trends, etc. I feel my nephrologist is taking
better care of me overall than endo is right now - but neph doesn't know
pumps either.

Therefore, I believe there are doctors who ARE familiar with pumps, but have
not kept up with tweaking, carb-counting, etc. When we used to cut
visually-read BG strips in thirds to save $$, dr. said, "If you read it as
180 and it's actually 196, what are you going to do about it anyway?
Nothing." BUT, there is something to do NOW - a whole unit may have been too
much then - but 0.1 or more/less may be the way to go. When I switched to
Humalog 12/96, it was with fear and trepidation. He just advised me to do it
as it was the new thing, but I didn't know how my body would respond, adjust
to whatever. I feel a doctor who is beginning to rx pumps will be more
up-to-date than one who has done it for a long time and not kept up.

http://maxpages.com/bludasue  BTW, less than 8 weeks 'til the BASH!!!  Jan &
Elvis, Roger, and Andy are coming, are you? If you find yourself about 10
mi. from Notre Dame 11/4/00 and want to come, let me know privately, and
I'll send details.