Re: [IP] Pish POsh - Well said Sara

email @ redacted wrote:
> NANNAEDY wrote:
> >  while I can understand you have the feelings of being deprived
> >  from a normal life with the curse of diabetes
> would you be so kinda as to point out where in my post that I express that
> diabetes deprives me of a normal life and where exactly I call diabetes a
> curse?  I can't stand it when people think they are being deprived - of
> anything.  Life is not fair....I can't afford to see the Lion King...am I
> being deprived?  no.  S**t happens and you have to get on with it...I am not
> deprived and I won't let some pesky "condition" or "disease" like diabetes
> control my life!

Nor continually live in fear as a motivation to "always do better"...
> I do NOT have a "pish posh" attitude about diabetes!   I stay on top of MY
> diabetes IN ORDER that I don't HAVE to worry about it 24/7.  And no, I would
> never try to, as you write:
> "convince this board with it's [sic] positive attitudes about pump control or
> yourself, that it is not going to rule your life and that it is only
> All of my posts are MY own experiences and feeling and opinions ONLY...I
> don't have to convince anyone...least of all myself, of anything related to
> diabetes.  Except maybe a few of those naysayers who believe it is ok to
> drive a car without testing their bg first...but that is a different
> discussion.
> I am sorry you don't consider yourself as "brave" as me.  There is nothing
> "brave" about my attitude.  It is just a FACT that you can NOT prevent
> complications.  You can only delay them.  You may be lucky and be able to
> delay them for 50 years, and I sure hope you are, but every single time your
> bg goes over whatever they consider normal these days...you do damage.  I am
> not gonna live my life in FEAR of losing my sight or having a kidney
> transplat or whatever might befall me.  I have retinopathy as a result of my
> negligent attitude for the first 17 years of being a diabetic.  HOPEFULLY it
> won't get worse, but I can't undo those naughty yars by spending the rest of
> my life in a padded cell.

It took me a long time to acknowledge that no matter how "less than
optimum" my self care was in the past, I was doing the best that I could
at the time...

> I had a doctor tell me once that I should not jump on the trampoline, since i
> had borken my leg on it...they were dangerous...then another doctor told me
> the same thing when i broke my other leg skiing... now I am waiting for one
> to tell me I should never visit my sister cuz I am allergic to her cat, or I
> should never go shopping cuz annoying clerks drive me to madness.
> Please...if I wanted to live in a little white padded cell, I am sure there
> are any number of people who would like to help me get there...

They all probably have padded cells that they want to SELL you, and
don't want to take NOT INTERESTED as the answer.  ;-)
> I do my best to maintain my bg in the 100-150 range, and I can eat Ben and
> Jerrys and NOT have my bg go much above that, and I can ALWAYS get it back
> down if it does go higher than that.  If you know how to bolus for it, why
> should you not be able to eat something...why would ice cream be any
> different than chinese food or pizza or movie theatre popcorn????  If B&J
> isn't to your taste, and thank you for negating my personal opinion that it
> IS wonderful, then choose somethng else you deny yourself in order to
> maintain your perfect control.  That is why this is America!!  We have the
> freedom to do what we want!!!
> Diabetes sucks.  Period.  but I sure don't consider it a "devil" to be
> banished by never living a life of sin, and I sure don't take care of myself
> for anyone else, like family or friends.  If I can't be "convinced" to do
> tests and take boluses for myself, then no one else can motivate me.

And much of the "SIN" is Self Imposed Nonsense...

> pish posh...indeed...

Jim S.