[IP] Top 10 Reasons to Pump

I've read several posts from people who have decided not to pump based on
info they read from the list.  I am mortified about this.  The benefits
outweigh the occasional problems.  We just don't write all the good things.

I think that EVERY insulin dependent diabetic should be offered a pump.  Pump
therapy was something that I had to seek out and convince my doctor that I
needed.  I think that this is too often the case.  I think pump therapy
should be covered right along with your first blood test and meal plan.

So, here's my top-10 list of good things about the pump:
1.  I can sleep until noon on the weekends w/o doing anything special & when
I wake up I'm 115
2.  I can skip a meal, eat later, eat earlier, or eat sporadically all the
live-long-day & just change my boluses
3.  I can give an exact amount of insulin (tenths of units aren't available
with shots)
4.  I can decide to exercise at the spur of the moment & just change my basal
rate w/o having a severe hypo
5.  I can decide what I'm going to eat when I see it instead of trying to
predict what I'm going to feel like eating 4 hours from now.
6.  I don't have ANY night hypo's anymore.  (I used to pop out of bed 4-5
times per week)
7.  I don't have daily hypo's anymore & I don't have to stay over 150 in
order to do it
8.  I don't get headaches all the time from the roller coaster of going from
387 to 43 in one afternoon
9.  No brainer:  no more shots
10. I feel good/optimistic about tight control for the first time EVER

So, don't be scared away from the pump b/c people are griping about customer
service or malfunctioning equipment.  The people that don't have any prob's
aren't saying anything.
dxed age 10
pumping since 6/1/00