Re: [IP] Water Tight?

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Jeffrey Rogers wrote:
> I have this phobia about getting it wet though and have NEVEr worn it in the
> shower or even had a single drop of water on it. I know they claim it is
> water tight, but.....I don't know. I will soon be taking Scuba Diving
> lessons and will ofcourse later be diving once I am certified. Does anyone
> know the TRUE limits of this device? Is it REALLY water proof? How deep can
> it go? Please...any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

You can safely swim with it in a pool, but if you take it deeper than
that it will leak. DO NOT wear it SCUBA diving. The protocol for SCUBA
diving varies from person to person. SCUBA is contraindiacated for people
with diabetes just as flying airplanes and many other high risk
activities where your mental faculties MUST be 100%. That said, my
diabetic daughter has an advanced SCUBA certification which she obtained
last year. She is very meticulous about the details of each dive, her
bg's and saftey issues. She received her advanced certification from
PADI. A medical waiver was required from her doc. She is an excellent
diver, much better than I am I think (I was an instructor when I was
younger). The main thing to keep in mind is that you MUST make sure that
those you are diving with know you are diabetic and what emergency action
they need to take if there is a problem. Carry glucose gel with you at
ALL times, in a pocket or in your BC. Make sure your dive buddy has some
as well and make sure that on EVERY dive, that your dive master is aware
of your condition and the necessary emerengcy procedures. That includes
where all your supplies are on the boat - or beach, and a quick course in
the administration of glucagon. Your biggest risk is a low induced by
cold water draining energy from you. The flip side is that you may have
high immediately after starting because there are not adequate blood
insulin levels. During training, you should be monitoring at least every
30 minutes so you can see how you body reacts to the stress and
environment. A small snack + bolus sometime before starting a dive may
help stablize your bg's. If possible, I would have a personal "watcher"
during your ocean dives to keep track of you so the intructor doesn't
have to worry about you, so if you have a diving friend, enlist them as
your check diver for the ocean dives. They should do nothing but follow
you around and keep an eye open (they can carry glucose gell :-)

I'm not trying to alarm you, just want to help you minimize the risk
during the learning process. It is a lot to absorb and the conditions are
harsh (if you make an error). My son and daughter went through
certification and advanced certification without a hitch. Of course, I
watched Lily like a hawk and she preformed flawlessly (whew!!!).

Just to titillate you a little, she's done a 95' dive in Monterrey and
this summer we did a deep dive in the Molokini Crater off Maui -- saw at
least 5 - 6 reef sharks and 3 greys during the dive.... then found an
octopus just sitting on top of a rock..... <vbg> have fun!