RE: [IP] slow onset and Type 1

Barbara,

I haven't found the schematic yet but I did find an interesting article at
the site you mentioned. This is from "Report of the Expert Committee on the
Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus". Type 1 Autoimmune is the
type under discussion in the following excerpt.

"In this form of diabetes, the rate of beta cell destruction is quite
variable, being rapid in some individuals (mainly infants and children) and
slow in others (mainly adults [16]). Some patients, particularly children
and adolescents, may present with ketoacidosis as the first manifestation of
the disease. Others have modest fasting hyperglycemia that can rapidly
change to severe hyperglycemia and/or ketoacidosis in the presence of
infection or other stress. Still others, particularly adults, may retain
residual -cell function sufficient to prevent ketoacidosis for many years.
Many such individuals with this form of type 1 diabetes eventually become
dependent on insulin for survival and are at risk for ketoacidosis. At this
latter stage of the disease, there is little or no insulin secretion, as
manifested by low or undetectable levels of plasma C-peptide.
Immune-mediated diabetes commonly occurs in childhood and adolescence, but
it can occur at any age, even in the 8th and 9th decades of life."