Re: [IP] New insulin from Lily

On 8 Sep 00, at 16:45, Sheila Morris wrote:

> I got this in an email today.  What purpose does this insulin serve?
> Announcing the launch of a New Breed of Insulin, Humalog(R) Mix 75/25(TM)
> (75% insulin lispro protamine suspension, 25% insulin lispro injection
> [rDNA origin]).  This is exciting news for patients who are currently
> taking 70/30 human insulin.

The mixed insulins are used by many people who are on a two injection a day
protocol. It saves them from the inconvenience of having to mix their own
insulin.  It is also one of the ways that doctors keep their patients on a
suboptimum treatment protocol.  They "do OK" because they keep their bg
below 200 most of the time and "they're going to get complications
anyway"...  In my opinion the pre-mixed insulins are a last resort when
someone is unable to handle tasks like mixing insulins or calculating their
own dosages.  I've seen this many times with older people who take a fixed
shot in the morning and evening - it makes things easier for the medical
people and keeps the patients functional.  It's just not a proper treatment...
but your mileage will vary...

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)