Re: [IP] Attitude and Control

email @ redacted wrote:
> In a message dated 9/6/00 3:38:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> << but I'm convinced that our attitude is
>  the one thing we CAN all control. >>
> Humm, I don't think Kap is able to control his attitude when he is low or
> high.  So, I think that blows that theory out the window.  There is nothing
> controllable about Diabetes.

Darlene, sounds like you're having a rough time right now.

But I think we need to distinguish between mood and attitude. Lots of us
get irritable when our BGs are out of control, but are our normal
pleasant selves when our BGs are in range.  That's mood. Kap is no
different from the rest of us in that respect.

Attitude, on the other hand, is the conscious choice you make on how you
will deal with the disease. You can decide to keep on trying, even
though you know you won't win every battle, or you can stick your head
in the sand and ignore it, or you can cry your eyes out with self-pity.

Kap is only a little boy, but you can teach him much about attitude. You
can encourage him to feel good about himself, and to know himself as a
valuable human being in spite of having a chronic disease. Or you can
raise him to be entirely self-centered about his diabetes, with no care
for anyone else around him. This has nothing to do with his BG levels,
but has everything to do with helping him to grow up as an emotionally,
physically and spiritually content and complete human being.

I'm pretty sure both you and Kap have a fine attitude about growing up
with diabetes. So grit your teeth and get through the rough times! Life
is worth it!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted