Re: [IP] loved ones and lack of understanding

Sharon,
I don't know how long you and your boyfriend have been together (he sounds
like a great guy) but i know with my husband it took a long while to get him
to understand diabetes.  I had gone DKA on our second date, and he came to
visit me in the hospital (he has definitaly seen me at my worst from the
start) so he know just how serious it can be.  After that he went with me to
the doctors and he spoke with a diabetes educator so he could ask any
questions he had and got better answers than i was able to give.  So now he
can just look at me and be able to tell, if if my b/s is  low, and just how
serious it is or isn't.  It takes alot of time and patients, but know i can
truly say i trust him with my life cause he will know what to do incase of
an emergancy.  As far as helping out with the fundraiser, i myself have
never helped with one, but i always donate as much as i can when i can and
my husband is the same way.  But if it came down to helping me with one, i
don't think i would be able to get him to help.  Just like your boyfriend he
does not like to ask for money, and all his life my husbands mother has done
everything for him (as far as making doctors appt. for him, cooking,
cleaning, his laundry, balancing his checkbook) so even if he wanted to help
i don't think he would know how.  So i have accepted him the way that he is
and i love him very dearly, if i ask for help with something and he does not
want to help then i just keep reminding myself that everyone is different
and eventhough he will not help it's not that it isn't important to him,
it's just not his thing.  I hope that this made some kind of sense, anyway
just give him some time and be understanding towards his views also.

Carrie