[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #458-Mary

In a message dated 09/02/2000 5:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< This person also wrote:
 The fact remains
 however that when your daughter grows up you will no longer have to be her
 caregiver. You may choose to continue to help manage her diabetes but that
 is what it will be..  a choice. Your daughter, your husband, and I myself
 have no such choice. In all likelihood we will be diabetic until we draw our
 last breath.
 Does this make my knowledge of diabetes any less? How would you moms respond
 to such a person who obviously has no idea what we go through?
 Mary >>

I have not posted here in quite some time.. but feel compelled to respond to
this note. This person is understandably and pretty obviously angry at thier
disease. The insensitivity that comes through in thier notes show this. I
myself have a diabetic S.O...  there is a point in life where, being
caregiver is simply not a "choice" it just IS.. For me, there is no "choice"
to be made on whether I decide to help Ken or not.. it is instinctual now, it
is part of US.. and whether someone else agrees or not, it doesn't change...
and it makes me no LESS knowledgeable than others. I had 3 Grandparents with
Diabetes, and now a room mate... It's ingrained. Don't let anyone try and
discourage you from what you know and feel. Some of those "caregivers" whom
others don't consider "peers" are more knowledgeable from thier alledged
"outside viewpoint" than some diabetics themselves are.<just my humble
opinion.. of course>
Take care of yourself Mary.