Re: [IP] KAK virus

On 6 Sep 2000, at 21:06, email @ redacted wrote:

> I ran McAffe and it said I did not have a virus.  I am waiting for a trojan
> scanner program to see if that will detect it.  I sopke with a friend in the
> computer business and he said it sounded like I had a virus but could not fix
> it until he knew what it was or where it was.  I do not know what I am doing
> when it comes to a virus.
>          Cheri:)

Actually, KaK is a "Worm", though it would show up with McAfee, as
long as McAfee has had an update since Dec. 29, 1999.  But you
appear to be running AOL email, so you don't seem to be at risk.  I
wouldn't worry at all about it.  It is the MS email products that are at the
greatest risk, and even the browser reader infection is not that bad.
Check out the story at:

Basic Information on the Worm from the Symantec Virus Research:

Microsoft Update site to remove vulnerability:

KakWorm removal tool download site:

George Lovelace
Senior IP Admin