[IP] Reservoir and Tubing changes

Hi, Sherry.

Here's how I minimize wastage. Of course, YMMV.

>I was told to change my softset every three days.  Does anyone have any
>opinions on that?

I change three times a week, every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. If I
change less often, I find that the site is often infected when I change the
cannula. The infection will not always be painful and it will not always
affect bg control. I'll simply see pus when I withdraw the old cannula.

>If you leave it in longer, do you face more chances of infection or pain?

I do, but I've seen from this list that some people can go for as much as a
week on a single infusion set/cannula. Try three days for a while, then
extend to four, and see how far you can go. Give yourself some time to
settle in before you try to push it. It takes a while for the body to get
used to cannulas, if it ever does.

>If you have insulin left in your reservoir when you change sets, but not
>enough, do you ever mix new insulin with old?  Or do you just throw out
>the old reservoir with some insulin in it?

I only fill my reservoir once a week. Twice a week, I change the cannula
but I do not change the tubing or touch the reservoir. (I use about 35
units/day, so going a week on a full reservoir is easy.)

I only change my reservoir once every three-to-four weeks. On those
occasions when I fill the reservoir without changing it, I remove the
cannula, remove the reservoir from the pump, pull back on the plunger to
suck the insulin in the tubing back into the reservoir, disconnect the old
tubing from the reservoir, place the reservoir fill needle (which I saved)
back on the reservoir mouth, fill the reservoir from one (or more) insulin
bottles, remove all air bubbles, detach the fill needle, attach a new
infusion set, push the plunger until insulin comes out the cannula, insert
the reservoir into the pump, prime, and insert the cannula.

The only problem with using the reservoir this long is the risk of NO FLOW
alarms due to insufficient piston lubricant. If this happens (it's happened
once so far), I change reservoirs, transferring the insulin from the old
one to the new one.

>I wonder because, say I fill up my reservoir with more than I need, then
>end up having to change my set after only one day or so because of an
>absortion problem.  Should I throw out what is left?  Can I add more too it?

I don't like to throw out insulin and there's really no need, since the
insulin contains an antiseptic and is fairly inhospitable to germs.

>When I only have about 30-40 units left, should I just wait to change it
>if it is inconvenient, or can I add more?

I add more.

>Does anyone try to save the insulin that is in the tubing?

Yes, I pull it back into the reservoir and reuse it.

> From the massive city of Bowling Green, KY

How many people do you have now? Enough for a whole apartment house in New
York City? <g>

>Hating to throw out perfectly good insulin

Me, too. It's _better_ than sliced bread. It's the "stuff of life".

regards, Andy