Subject: Newsweek Cover Story on Diabetes
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:05:40 -0700
From: "Rick Mendosa" <email @ redacted>
To: .......

Did anyone notice what's causing the current "diabetes epidemic,"
according to Newsweek?

In the mass media's never ending search for sensationalism this
article has performed what I think is a huge disservice to the
American public.

At the bottom of the opening page, 40, It says, "And what caused this
catastrophe was nothing as exotic as pesticides or emerging viruses.
What was poisoning Benitez was sugar."

But table sugar, which the reader would assume is what's at issue,

In fact, that sugar is glucose, which the article does note on page 42
as "the hallmark [of diabetes] is a failure to metabolize glucose, the
ubiquitous sugar molecule carried by the bloodstream to fuel every
part of the body." Actually, failure is too strong a word. Difficulty
would be better

The article also closes with a misleading reference to sugar, "there
has to be a happy medium that can let us enjoy our food and
comforts -- and avoid the coming scourge of poisoning by sugar."

Anyway, I'm writing an article for a new nutrition Web site about the
diabetes epidemic announcement and would like to include a reference
to the Newsweek oversimplification. Anybody have any juice quotes for

Rick Mendosa: A Writer on the Web: www.mendosa.com
E-mail: email @ redacted  Phone: (831) 688-5300
Office: 238 Coronado Drive, Aptos, CA 95003-4011